Monday, March 24, 2008

Inferno

I do not have a picture for this title. Important to remember though, it's the Robert Durling translation...beautiful beautiful beautiful.
My favourite thing about reading this was researching what happened during or after Inferno was written.
A few scenes from Inferno had been depicted by Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel. And I loved researching pictures of the chapel looking for those small details.
The Canto that affected me most was Canto 13.

Canto 13
Seventh Circle, second subscircle: the violent against themselves-the posioned wood-Pier della Vigna-the chase of prodigals-the anonymous Florentine

Not yet had Nesses reached the other side, when
we entered a wood that no path had marked.
Not green leaves, but dark in colour, not smooth
branches, but knotted and twisted, no fruit was there,
but thorns and poison.
.....
I heard cries of woe on every side but we saw no
person uttering them, so that all dismayed I stood
still.

My belief is that he believed that I must believe
that so many voices, among those thickets, came
forth from people hidden from us.

Therefore, my master said: "If you break off some
little twig from one of these plants, the thoughts you
have will all be cut off."


I just picture this one and its quite stirring. It gives me chills even now.

No comments: