Monday, March 24, 2008

The Perks of Being a Wallflower



I cannot remember how long I've been wanting to read this book, never really knowing what it was about. If I had known that The Smiths were mentioned quite a bit, I would have read it years ago!
The book is bittersweet, melancholy, and nostaglic...but beautiful and profound. The music mentioned = remarkable. The characters were all so amazing. I even loved Charlie's sister (and his brother!)
Could I indetify with Charlie, what with being a wallflower and all? Yes, in some parts almost exactly. I haven't figured out what the perk is though, at least for me.
Some lines that stood out are:

"I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."

"I had an amazing feeling when I finally held the tape in my hand. I just thought to myself that in the palm of my hand, there was this one tape that had all these memories and feelings and great joy and sadness. Right there in the palm of my hand. And I thought about how many people have loved these songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much those songs really mean"

-I definitly said that about my iPod! :) I am in awe of my iPod. :)

Charlie, about his father "I love him. And I don't know him."

and this is SO me...

"I would have told the table that, but they were realy having fun being cynical, and I didn't want to ruin it. So, I just sat back a little bit and watched."






and this is also me and I am sad to type it out, but here it is...

"You can't just sit there and put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love. You just can't. You have to do things."

No comments: