Monday, January 21, 2008

A Walk in the Woods



This book was wonderful. He inspired me on so many levels. And he also made me feel great when he talked about air conditioning and how some people refuse to enjoy the fresh spring air...I don't use air conditioning unless its really hot and gross...but my mom uses it all the time. And she is inconsistent with it. Ex:

Get in car.
Blast the air.
Turn it off.
Wait a few minutes.
Turn air on, but not as high.
Turn it down.
Ask around "is everything comfortable? are you getting any of this?"
Blasts it again.

Its annoying and it gives me a bit of a headache. I also don't like breathing in air conditioner. :( But don't get me wrong, it does become a neccessity for me too.

Also, I love the idea of just taking off time to hike. Thats beautiful. I think I would like to do it for a little while, but I know I would get tired of it pretty quickly only for the need to feel clean again. I am unhappy if I don't take a shower. I think its an ocd of mine..to constantly feel clean.

I was dissapointed at the end, but i love Bill Bryson and I love that he was so so honest with this publication.

1 comment:

Steven said...

This is one of my favourite quotes in any book:

“When guys in camouflage pants and hunting hats sat around in the Four Aces Diner talking about fearsome things done out-of-doors, I would no longer have to feel like a cupcake. I would want some of that swagger that comes with being able to gaze at the far horizon with eyes of chipped granite, and say with a slow, manly sniff: ‘ Yeah, I have shit in the woods’”