Friday, January 25, 2008

Life Of Pi



You know, throughout the entire time I have been posting, I have been looking forward to writing about this book the most. It has moved me in so many ways...
It's about a little indian boy named Piscine. His family owns a zoo and they must move. Piscine has grown up in the zoo, and he knows a lot about animal pyscholgy. His parents have taught him about all the dangers of zoo animals and which animals to fear and why.
As the animals get sold, the family prepares to move. They must board the same ship as a lot of the animals.
One day there is an accident and Piscine stuggles to find his family but finds a boat after a while and he starts to panic. In his panic, his rescues a bengal tiger, a zebra, an orang-utan, and a hyena. It isnt until when everything in site has been rescued that he realises how grave his situation is. He is on a boat with a 450 lb tiger, a most fearsome creature. And so this book is about their stuggle to survive together. Are they ever friends and do they ever cuddle Walt Disney style? No no no. But they rely on each other to survive and it is a great great great great book on just life in general. I really really love this book and I know 2 or 3 people who don't like it, but it is so beautifully moving to me and I love how much I took away from this book. I am getting chills just writing about this one. I love that Piscine also pratices 3 religions. (Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam)

I also love that this book is called Life of Pi, because Pi is short for Piscine.

1 comment:

Steven said...

I put an illustrated copy of this book on hold and then forgot to buy it. *sigh*