Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Feast of Love


I really loved this book, and I fell in love with this passage..

"Inside the stadium, I feel the hushed moonlight on my back and sit down on a metal bench. The August meteor shower now seems to be a part of this show. I am two thirds of the way up. These seats are too high for visibility and too coldly metallic for comfort, but the place is so massive that it makes most individual judgements irrevelent. Like any coliseum, it defeats privacy and solitude through sheer size. Carved out of the earth, sized for hordes and giants, bloody injuries and shouting and so massive that no glance can take it all in, the stadium can be considered the staging ground for epic events, and not just in football, in 1964, President Lyndon Baines Johnson announced his Great Society Program here."

The author is talking about the stadium at the University of Michigan. Wow. That paragraph took my breath away. I love the "hushed moonlight on my back" part. Mmhmm. This author has a way with words very few authors have nowadays.

No comments: